Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pleased to Meet Grandma


As of May 27, 2009, the earths population is estimated by the United States Bureau to be 6,782,536,522. And out of that 6,782, 536,522 there lives in Provo Utah, a widow, who is my Grandmother. Elizabeth Josephine Smith. She is 83 years young, has stunning skin, and a beautiful mind for her age. My Bryce, Smith, and I have dinner with her every Monday. Why do we visit her every Monday? Because it is Family Home Evening. A night to drop everything and hang out completely in the present with your loved ones. My Bryce and I started this tradition early in marriage and it continues today. When I was younger I thought my Grandma was crazy. I have a fond memory of her visiting our family when we lived in Quincy California, which is all pine trees, hills and meadows. Beautiful. It was easy to visit nature, just step out your door and go hiking, you were in nature anywhere you turned. I was probably 7 years old when she decided to take her grandchilren for a little nature hike; as we hiked a long the sunlit trails of the forrest my Grandma stopped, faced a large pine tree, looked up at the majesty of height and beauty, took a deep breath, smiled, opened her arms, and HUGGED THE TREE. Then she said,"Come and hug the tree with me girls. Feel the love." I will never forget that experience. Later on in life when I heard the label "Tree Hugger" I always referred back to that experience with my grandma. I love her and she has been through a lot, her family has been through a lot. When I go to her house on Mondays, I try to leave all of that behind and just be there in the moment with her. Let her talk, let her repent out loud, let her. I believe People need People, No man is an island, no man stands alone. I need her as well, I have come to love my Mondays with her and I look forward to them every week. So out of the 6 billion something people that live in this world, I have found there is someway to find someone that you can learn more about and love more than you ever thought possible. That person for me is my Grandma Smith. What a surprise to find out how much I care for her. I love you Grandma Smith.

4 comments:

  1. i LOVE your new background. your profile picture. everything is just LOVELY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Beth! Love it all. How lucky to have such an amazing lady close by! she does have amazing skin! Wow.. I would LOVE to see you and just have a chat over cheese and crackers! mikeandlora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma Smith...I remember her! She DOES have beautiful skin. "Come and hug the trees with me..." So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, for some reason it's not letting me comment on your kissing post, alas i'm here to tell you how darling it was. i love your mom. i love you!

    ReplyDelete

Be a friend Post a Comment